People with the Learner StrengthsFinder talent never stop learning because life never stops teaching. They love the process of learning and are learners for life.
Understanding the Learner Strength
Learner is a Strategic Thinking theme and ranks 3 in frequency out of all 34 StrengthsFinder talent themes.
It is most often paired with Achiever .44% and least likely paired with Command .o2%.
The Refined View of Learner
Words that are used to describe mature learners are: curious, inquisitive, studious, explorers, discoverers,
constant improver, and open minded. They catch on quickly and are interested in all kinds of knowledge, information, and experiences. If they don’t understand something they are eager to figure it out.
One Ghost Writer friend loves his Learner strength. When he writes, he will research details that can be included into his writing projects. Maybe it’s researching old buildings or perhaps brain science.
Another Learner client enjoys connecting with public speakers in the National Speakers Association, not because he loves public speaking but because he learns diverse life principles from the speakers.
The Raw View of Learner
Learner that is not mature is likely to easily get bored when there is nothing new to understand. They hit a learning plateau and quickly move on to the next interesting topic, person, or experience.
We all know those professional students who love to learn but have never committed to be an expert in a particular field or possibly to complete their college degree.
Many Learners are not motivated by certificates, degrees, unless their Learner is paired with Achiever or Competition. They may come across as know it all’s because in fact they do know a lot of diverse knowledge.
7 Styles of Learning
1. Visual: You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.
2. Aural: You prefer using sound and music.
3. Verbal: you prefer using words, both in speech and writing.
4. Physical: You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.
5. Logical: You prefer logic, reasoning, and systems.
6. Social: You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
7. Solitary: You prefer to work alone and use self-study.
Learner’s loves to be on the cutting edge; People with the Context strength enjoy study of the past. Learner enjoys the process of research; Focus studies for a specific reason and outcome.
The Power of Learner is to absorb new information quickly and apply that knowledge in a meaningful way.
The Joy of Learner comes in the learning curve and method of learning.
The Beauty of Learner is to inspire others to keep learning for life.
The Hope of Learner is that we can always expand knowledge for success.
Action Items for Learner
* Discover your preferred learning styles.
* Place yourself in roles that require frequent research and learning experiences.
* Track your learning experiences and become a resident expert in an area you love.
* Be a catalyst of learning for your team, friends, family, and place of employment.
* Practice sharing your learning insights succinctly with the right audience at the right time.
Discovery Questions for the Learner Strength
* What are you most excited about learning now?
* Who do you enjoy discussing your learning ideas with?
* How could you leverage your learning in your career and personal relationships?
* What area would you like to learn more about in your organization?
* How could you better manage your Learner to be more refined?
About the author: Brent O’Bannon coaches individuals, teams, and organizations as the first GALLUP
Certified Strengths Coach in the world. He is an Amazon #1 Best Selling Author. Learn more at brentobannon.com & strengthschampion.com